Agricultural cultivation marigold is available and not the most sophisticated green thumb. A versatile plant with bright flowers, similar to a small sun, long ago gained popularity. In addition to the decorative properties culture used, as a drug for the prevention and treatment of diseases and as a spice to soups, sauces, meat dishes. For the fair half of it is a valuable cosmetic tool, for gardeners – active helper in the fight against nematodes, thrips and other pests.
Calendula in the wild it grows in the Mediterranean, in Central and Western Europe, in South-West Asia. There are about twenty species of perennial and annual marigold, they are hardy and take root easily in any corner of the garden or the garden. Plant height – average 60 cm, flower diameter up to 10 cm.
The cultivation and care
Marigolds are strongly stretched and weak bloom in the shade, prefer Sunny areas. Full grow on any garden soil, but prefer moist, loose and fertilized with humus soil. In land scarce recommended to make phosphorus-potassium fertilizer.
Calendula endures the decline of temperature, not afraid of the spring the return of frost. Seeds are sown under glass in spring or late autumn. The first seedlings of calendula appear in March or April. In late may, the seedlings are transplanted in open ground to a permanent place. When podzimnih sowing seeds are buried at a shallow depth in the grooves. In the spring the seeds are actively in growth with temperature +8 degrees. A month after sowing the plants were thinned, leaving from intervals 20 to 40 cm. After three or four weeks calendula starts to bloom. The collection of baskets medicinally useful plants: the more you pluck the flowers the more blooms new, and the flowering lasts until the first snow.
Seeds are harvested in August, to prevent unwanted self-seeding. Better to do it in dry weather, choosing the regional baskets. Dried flowers in the shade.
Species and varieties
- "Calypso". Large flowers, the height of the Bush to 30 cm. The species can be grown in the garden and in pots, pots. Flowers gustomahrovye, rich orange or Golden-orange.
- "Pigmy". Compact, to 15 cm, Bush gustomahrovye flowers. Color may be orange, cream, gold, apricot.
- "Aprikot, pigmi". Supermarky variety with pale apricot flowers.
- "Fiesta Gitana". Height – to 30 cm, flowers from red-orange to creamy color, form – imbricate. Middle – dark brown.
- "The Goddess Of The Sun". Terry calendula, petals orange, rolled into a tube, similar to the rays.
- "Summer Symphony". Variety with strong stems and dense gustomahrovye flowers yellow and orange shades. Used for growing in containers, on the balconies, cut.
- "Apricot jam". Compact Bush, branched, to 45 cm in height. Used for garden plantings and vase life.
- Calendula balcony. Small inflorescences similar to anemones. Color – yellow, peach, lemon, orange.
- "Bon Bon". Gustomahrovye tight hats of various colors: orange and yellow shades.
- "Candyman Yellow" – plush large yellow or orange flowers. Used for planting in flowerbeds, ridges, borders and for cut flowers.
- "Fiesta" – grade universal use, yellow and orange flowers with a dark heart. The Bush is densely branched, compact.
- "Radio". Compact bushes up to half a meter, blossoms radiant shape, hemispherical. The petals Golden-yellow or bright orange, tubular petals are lighter. Universal grade for cut flowers and for garden.
- The "green heart". Diameter of inflorescences – up to 7 cm, height – 60 cm. Flowers anemone, cent of greenish-orange color, the petals are intense orange or yellow.
- "The Sun Of Egypt". Terry is a variety with red flowers and dark center. The variety can be grown on balconies and in gardens.
- "Apricot". Highly branched bushes and long stems, inflorescences hemispherical, Terry, the tips of the petals darker. The coloration depends on the variety.
- "The silk road". Inflorescence salmon-pink in color, the height of the Bush to 40 cm.
- Calendula Kabloona. Variety of versatile use, the flowers may be Golden, yellow, orange.
- "Geisha". The flowers are large, to 10 cm in diameter, calendula gustomahrovye, similar to a chrysanthemum, orange, the tips of the petals red.
- "Magic Of Sari". Compact branching plant with bronze-orange flowers.
- "Confectioner". The main advantage of class – double orange and yellow flowers have a delicate aroma.
- "Pink Surprise". Large inflorescence with imbricate Golden-cream flowers with a pinkish tinge. The dark color is highlighted at the center of tubular petals.
- "Ed visa black". Red-orange color, dark center. Variety ideal for cut flowers, but it grows well in plantations.
- "Spot of red". Large semi-double and double flowers yellow, orange or pinkish, with a dark center.
- "Citron". Inflorescence light yellow, Terry.
- "Apricot twist". Variety for flower beds, curbs, the ridges, the inflorescences are yellow, Terry.
- "Lemon juice". Lemon-cream blossoms with a Burgundy center.
- "The orange Flamingo". A relatively new cultivar with an unusual fruity aroma. Flowers dense, densely plush, orange. The variety is resistant to bad weather.
- "Pacifik" or "Beauty". The plant forms a tall shrub to 80 cm, peduncles long, hemispherical or flattened, large, to 10 cm in diameter. The flowers can be creamy yellow, orange, straw-yellow, lemon, Golden-orange, salmon, stripes.
- "Golden Emperor". Petals Golden, bottom darker.
- "Art Shades". The shrub is highly branched, long stalks, inflorescence orange and Golden yellow.
- "Golden Prince". The height of shrubs – up to 70 cm. The flowers are yellow, Terry, the middle, contrasting. Grade for accent in the garden or in a bouquet.
- "Honey". Straight stalks, height – to 60 cm. Terry yellow blossoms, grade is used for group and single plantings.
- "Sunset". Large double flowers of creamy apricot color, on the lower side – dark red.
- "Oksana". Yellow-orange petals and a green center, variety for cut flowers and ornamental plantings.
- "Flames". As blooming petals turn into little peaks.
- "Neon". Strain for single and group plantings: Terry flowers, Golden petals, the tips decorated with red and orange brush strokes.
- "Apricot". Orange gustomahrovye inflorescences, used for decoration of flower beds.
- "The Indian Prince". Plant height – up to 75 cm. Inflorescences bronze-orange, with a dark center and purple tips of the petals sharp.
- "Golden balls". Light yellow, gustomahrovye inflorescences, suitable for food and medicinal use.
- "The mountain path". The bushes high, strong, branched, flowers are yellow-orange with dark center.
- "The shining day". Double flowers of various colors, strong bushy plants.
- "Sunny day". Variety of universal, inflorescence orange and yellow colors in various shades.
- "Dragon". Supermarina calendula, petals pale peach inside and orange outside.
- "Orange king". Terry blossoms with a dark center and bright orange petals. Has decorative and medicinal properties.
Calendula in the garden
Specific flavor, bright blooms to complement the flower garden of any shape and size, Moorish lawn. Stunted forms enliven the rock garden, look good in the border with a pink or bright blue flowers. Double varieties in baskets and vases decorate the balcony or terrace, tall form, good vase life. Decorative properties of the plant allow to drop him among the roses, asters and gladioli, ageratum and of Lobelia, delphinium. Bright flowers attract bees.
Diseases and pests
Dense planting marigolds in wet and cold weather can be affected by powdery mildew, bacterial cancer, rot, black spot. To prevent the plants treated with any fungicide. To provoke the disease can and excess fertilizers. Damaged plants remove. From slugs, the wireworm, aphids rid of common ways. The place of planting is better to change, to disease and pests do not accumulate in the soil.