Decoration pond water plants
In order to decorate the pond where aquatic plants are to be initially determined with the following questions:
- Can plants winter (but this will depend on the method of planting: in containers or in the ground).
- What plants to choose: deep, oxygenerator, quays or floating
- When and how to implement the planting of aquatic plants
- Requirements for planting
- Some representatives of the aquatic plants to give preference to
All these questions will determine not only the overall decorative appearance of the pond, but its durability and ability to provide life support to the fish. Consider in detail all these questions.
Types of water plants for pond
There are many classifications of plants for pond (aquatic plants). In order, what would an ornamental pond at the cottage was attractive and functioned properly, it is necessary to give preference to the following types of water plants:
- Oxygenerator plants, produce oxygen to support life of all living creatures in the pond.
- Floating plants – decorate the water surface of the pond.
- Deep-sea plants add floating plants, create a composition is decorated with a pond
- The embankments of the plants – used to complete the composition, decorating beach pond.
Representatives of the water plants for pond
So, with the types of aquatic plants you met, their role in the overall composition you are aware of, now we offer you the most popular representatives of each of the species of aquatic plants.
As we have said, plants oxygenerator sponsor the pond an extra dose of oxygen. In addition, these plants are food for some fishes (for example, carp). Oxygenator are sanitation of water reservoirs and implementing biological cleaning of water. Experts recommend one to use pond planting several types of plants oxygeneration, the main thing is not to overdo it with their number.
Among the most popular of the water plants of this type, it is recommended to give preference to the following:
- Turchi marsh
- Water asterisk
- Urrutia pigweed
- Ceratophyllum dark green
The embankments of the plants
The embankments of the plants are used to decorate the contours of the reservoir, as well as protecting the water from overheating on hot days. It is recommended to use the low embankments of the plants, with the expectation that, what would a shadow fell on the pond during the midday sun.
Please note that, the trees near the pond are not recommended to plant, because. the root system of trees eventually begin to destroy not only the shore of the pond, but the waterproofing of the bowl. If you do decide to undertake tree planting, it should be a good distance from the shore, decorating only the General landscape design.
To decorate the pond embankments using such plants, as:
- Ornamental dwarf spruce
- Weeping willow
Floating plants are used for decoration mirror of the pond. They can be planted in the ground at the bottom or placed in containers, we'll talk about that later. Floating plants are as hardy, and tropical, preference should be given first.
Most floating plants require virtually no care, the main thing is to follow the pace of growth and number of plants, otherwise, for a short period of time the entire pond will acquire this type of aquatic plants, that is not good.
Among the most popular floating plants for pond, you must use the following:
- Azolla (fern and Caroline)
- Eyhorniya tolstokorova
Deep water plants should be transplant in combination with floating. That would be deep-sea plants could decorate the ornamental pond, the water should be clean, and the pond is shallow.
Since most deep-sea plants are not able to spend the winter, they should be planted in containers, that would frost it was no problem to bring plants into the basement.
Among the most attractive and easy care plants produce deep:
- Nymphaeum (Lily)
If the depth of the pond exceeds 60 cm, these plants are allowed to leave for the winter in the water, because. at this depth the roots will not freeze.
Methods of planting aquatic plants in the pond
As we have said, aquatic plants can be planted in containers either directly in the soil pond.
If planting in soil, you must do the following steps:
- The bottom of the pond to pour fertile soil (the layer thickness of about 8 cm). The soil should consist of sand, compost and rotted mullein.
- Into the soil to place the plants: higher around the coast, floating closer to the center of the pond.
- On the roots to pour a layer of river sand (about 2-4 cm), which will prevent the erosion of fertile soil.
Planting aquatic plants into the soil is not so rational decision, rather than planting in containers.
The advantage of planting aquatic plants in containers is as follows:
- Plants can be stored in cellar for the winter
- Plants can be swapped and rearranged from place to place, refreshing the composition of the pond
In order to put water plants into the container, you need:
- To find a spacious container, what would the root system growth was not limited to. The color of the container should be inconspicuous, what would a plant stood out against the background of the container.
- To put on the inside of the container, the burlap – it protects the soil from leaching
- Place the plant in a container
- To fill the roots of the fertile mixture (sand + fertile soil + compost) and Pat. The container must remain a little space (about 4 cm to the upper edge of the).
- Want to fertilize the plant with clay balls with a bone flour
- The remaining 4 cm of space in the container to fill with gravel, who will protect the soil from leaching into the water
In addition, the gravel will prevent overturning of the container in the water (give it weight) and protect plant roots from being eaten by fish.
After that, the container can be installed on the bottom of the pond and wait, while the plant does not bloom.
The time of planting aquatic plants
Aquatic plants need to be planted in the period from late spring to early fall, because. at this time, the water temperature will be most suitable for the growth of water plants..
Please note that, what if you just built the artificial decorative pond, planting is prohibited, because the materials derive more toxic substances (plastic or concrete bowl, PVC film, liquid rubber, etc.), and the corresponding natural ecosystem has not yet formed.
To carry out the planting of plants allowed at least a few weeks after construction of the pond, better to wait until next season.
It should also be noted, one water plant may need from 0,5 m2 and to 4 m2 free space, so if you plan to make the composition of aquatic ornamental plants, ask the seller a specialty store about, how much space a particular plant requires.
Well, the last thing I wanted to draw your attention – care for the pond. Not "run" the event, timely perform cleaning and disinfection of the pond, otherwise, its restoration to become time-consuming and costly exercise!