How to protect the wood from rotting?
Due to the fact that wood is a natural material, which is a breeding ground for such moisture-loving detractors, as mold and fungus, it is often exposed to the negative effect of these bacteria, causing the whole building or a piece of wood rot away and destroyed.
In order to protect the wood from rotting in advance of need to implement some events, the main ones are:
- Processing of wood preservatives, sold in solutions and pastes in any hardware store. Apply antiseptics is recommended not only on the surface of the wood, but on the ground, in which it is located (approximate depth of impregnation 1,5 meter). It is recommended to use 5% a solution of potassium dichromate in 5% sulfuric acid. Popular ready-antiseptics are products such, as: novoteks, pinoteks, biokron, biosept.
- Natural and artificial drying of wood. To dry the wood naturally, it is necessary to place the material under a canopy or in a well ventilated area at a time from a week to several months (depending on the climate and properties of the woods). The advantage of this variant is the lack of monetary cost. As for the artificial drying, it is carried out either by drying in a liquid medium (capacity with petrolatum) or using storage in the cells with high temperature (the influence of steam or warm air). The advantage of artificial drying is a quick process (from an hour to several days) and the defeat of fungal diseases.
- The correct location of the wooden structures. For this purpose, constructive activities, such as: use a waterproof roof, active ventilation, high Foundation, waterproofing of wooden walls etc.
Methods of protecting wood against insects
The main insect pests of wood are beetle-weevil, beetle Longhorn beetle and the beetle-grinder. They are for a short period of time can turn wooden buildings and furniture in a pile of dust. In order, to determine the effect of insects well enough to see the surface of wood – if you see small grooves on the walls, holes and piles of dust, so, pests already inhabit this place.
To protect the wood from insects, you need to use antiseptics and insecticides, sold in specialty stores. The simplest version of the protective means in the home – salt solution. Its advantage is harmless to humans, drawback – slight washout with rain water. There are many folk remedies protect the wood from insects, popular are:
- The use of tar in turpentine
- Treatment with paraffin or molten wax
- The processing solution of karbolku
- The use of dichlorvos (chlorophos)
You can also use the solution kremneftoristogo sodium, which is easily applied to the surface of the wood with a spray or brush.
Effective protection of wood from moisture
In order, that would simultaneously protect the wood surface from damage by insects and fungal infections, you must use a water-repellent impregnation.
The simplest version of the water-repellent impregnation – oil. It is necessary to put on the wood, across the surface, what would the oil gets in all the cracks, the joints and pores.
Should be taken into account, the application of oil to the surface changes the color of the building or woodwork, making it a little darker.
We recommend wood oil monthly, that would increase the effectiveness of the protection of wood from moisture.
In addition to applying oil, you can also use such popular methods, as tinting and varnishing.
Toning of wood is a process of small color wood surface with oil paints, alcohol stains, colored lacquer etc. Tinted wood, you must realize every 2 year.
Varnishing wood is carried out in places with high humidity (for example, in the baths). For this purpose, water-repellent varnish, applying n a wood surface every 5 years.
Protect the surface of wood from the fire
Often, the use of fire retardants is carried out in public areas, such as hotels, restaurants, bars, saunas, etc., but caring owners use the means for protection of wood from fire and common territories of country houses and country sites.
Techniques protect the wood from accidental fires are divided into simple treatment of salt solutions and treatment with special substances, forming a protective film on wooden construction.
In the first case, the salt solution is applied to the surface of the wood, penetrating deep into the material, and during the fire these substances melt, forming a protective film, which stops the spread of flame. Although the fire and stop, charred wood will need to be replaced.
Handling special substances stops the fire in the same way, only much better. This method used flame retardants, containing sulfuric acid, ammonium phosphate and borax. It is recommended to use the plaster, plaster and paint on a silicate basis.
Recommendations for the protection of wood
In order, what would the wooden building has served as many years and all the time look attractive, necessary as often as possible preventive methods for protection of wood. What would the defense was more effective, you should treat the wood before construction of the facility, that would give the material to dry well on all sides.
It is recommended to implement a comprehensive protection of wood, which includes several treatments with special products, protect from moisture, fungi, mold and insect damage.
The same should adhere to the basic requirements before handling the wood:
- It is prohibited to process frozen wood
- If the surface is previously covered with paint or varnish, it is necessary to carefully handle the wood – sanding or ottsiklevat, what would the surface have a uniform absorbency.
- The optimum temperature, when treatment is +20 +25°C. Allowed to process material in the range from +10 to +40°C, but in any case not below +5°C.
- The treated wood surface should be clean and dry
We also recommend you to read the article, how to make a fence made of palisade their hands!