- Classification of lilies: varieties, group
- Preparation of soil mixtures
- Planting material: inspection and processing
- A place to land: what to pay attention?
- Useful tips on caring for exotic beauty
- How often do I need to separate lilies?
- Pests and diseases
- Photo of different varieties of lilies
- Video: the cultivation of lilies
This amazingly beautiful flower the ancient Greeks attributed a divine origin from the mother's milk of the gods Juno. The literal translation of the name sounds like "white-white". The Romans used it as the main flower for the holidays, dedicated to the Flora, the goddess of spring.
In Christian and Jewish tradition, the Lily – symbol of purity. A beautiful flower is depicted on the coats of arms of aristocratic families in different countries. In our time, thanks to the work of breeders, a perfect flower even more beautiful and varied, he is a bright and unique accent, the main plant any flower garden.
Classification of lilies: varieties, group
Proper planting and care of a marvelous plant will allow him to develop properly. Bulbous perennials according to the international classification are divided into nine groups.
- Asian group includes about five thousand varieties. Distinguishing characteristics – hardiness, simplicity, flowers have no fragrance.
- Curly Lily count two hundred varieties. Inflorescences resemble a candlestick with drooping head.
- White the flowers are very whimsical, they include thirty varieties. Can have not only snow-white, but a yellowish tint, difference lovely scent.
- American decorative culture original and colorful, exotic colors, often decorated with black speckles. Care fussy.
- Dlinnozvennye lilies have an elongated shape, the flowers look like not fully in full bloom, which grows to the side or down. Very fragrant family, often grown in the greenhouse, as in the open ground is easily affected by virus diseases.
- Tubular varieties have the shape of a gramophone, the petals – dense, like a wax. Plants naughty, in the winter need shelter.
- Eastern Oriental group numerous, has about 1300 varieties. Love the heat, Moody, often susceptible to diseases.
- Interspecific hybrids beautiful and exotic, they combine the best qualities from other groups. The size of these flowers can reach up to 25 cm in diameter.
Natural views the Lily is not so beautiful, but serve as the basis for the creation of new varieties. In vivo herbaceous lilies distributed in the Northern hemisphere, the South-Eastern part of Central America, in China, in Japan, in the Mediterranean.
Asiatic hybrids the most common, they are descended from wild Siberian lilies, such as "tiger" and "Daursky". Hardy, tolerate not the most favorable conditions, changes in temperature and humidity. Most popular Asiatic hybrids:
- profusely blooming "Marlene" with petals of soft pink color;
- showy beauty high grade "Landini", color – maroon;
- Terry "Aphrodite" with rose petals;
- a rich red-orange "Enchantment";
- delicate lemon-yellow "Destin";
- bright red sort of "Paprika".
Preparation of soil mixtures
All bulbs prefer a rich soil. Best fertilizer – humus, but it should be entered cautiously, in reasonable "doses". When excess power the plant will slow its development, will reduce resistance to diseases and frost. The ratio 7 – 8 kg of compost per square meter is considered optimal. Also adversely may affect the introduction of undecomposed manure, which contains pathogens.
In one place the plant can live for three to five years. When digging the soil it needs to be refilled with mineral fertilizers, containing potassium, nitrogen, phosphorus. On meter area contribute approximately 100 g mix.
Lilies do not tolerate acidic soil, preferring slightly acidic and slightly alkaline. In acidic soil with good drainage good feeling only representatives of the Eastern varieties. "Asians" and hybrids like neutral compounds, tubular lilies are better in slightly alkaline land with sand and ash.
Soil acidity can be artificially reduced by using wood ash (150 – 200 grams per square meter) and chalk (300 – 500 g per meter).
Planting material: inspection and processing
Not all lilies can tolerate temperature fluctuations, this point needs to be considered when choosing planting material. Also carefully inspect the bulb, it should not be a trace of rot and stains of unknown origin, which can indicate infection of plants. Scales should fit snugly to each other, the onion itself to have a monochromatic color.
Planting material are best stored in sand or sawdust, in a cool place, for example, on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator. Can be used for this purpose, the moist moss. If the bulb suddenly going off in growth, it is better to plant in a flower pot and keep at room temperature, and in the open ground to replant after the retreat of the frost.
The bulbs before planting you need to clean away the damaged tissue, rotten scales and dead roots. Material rinse with pressured water for half an hour, put in a solution of manganese, proportions: 5 g in a bucket of water, the idea "redeem" in the solution of fundazol. If necessary, planting material can hold in the insecticidal solution, consisting of one percent of fosfamida and trichlorfon.
A place to land: what to pay attention?
East, Asian, tubular varieties grow well in Sunny sites. Kinky Lily feel good in partial shade, it is desirable to place so, to the lower part of the plant was shaded, and the inflorescence was covered by the sun.
The flowering plants look fine alone, small-it is better to plant groups, placing them at a distance 15 cm from each other. Graceful "record players" will look even more interesting, if you place them on the background of bright foliage perennials, which also will cover the tender plants from the wind.
For planting lilies are considered the perfect areas, located on an elevated. This arrangement should prevent excess waterlogging, waterlogged soil can kill the delicate beauties. Clay and heavy loam soil you can "ease", if you equip the drainage. The ditch lay at a slight incline, the bottom is filled with pieces of brick, chippings, top – a layer of river sand and soil.
To cover basal area from burning rays of the sun can host, bells, the daylilies: the foliage of these plants will cover the soil surface and create optimal conditions for the growth and development of lilies.
The best time for planting bulbs – after flowering plants: the end of summer or mid fall. If the planting material is purchased in early spring, the landing can be done, as soon as the ground thaws and dries. Later planting in the spring may lead to damage and death of shoots.
In the spring it is better to plant late blooming varieties, follicles are formed slower. Among these varieties include the "Rio Negro", "White Haven", "Marco Polo", Rialto. Varieties Of "White", "Hanadeka and Testaceum" – exception. They form supersoil outlet, layer of soil over them should not exceed two to three inches.
The bottom of planting holes in heavy soil is lined with five-centimeter layer of sand. She attack – mouse-vole. To protect from the voracious rodents the bottom of the pit is laid with wire mesh.
When planting onion laid in the bottom of the pit, on the sand, roots neatly straightened, they cannot be bend and twisted. Place sprinkled the ground and mark the peg, the soil is slightly compacted. Holes plenty of water, to cover with a crust.
The Lily roots can dry out right during landing, to avoid this, it is better to wrap in a damp cloth or put in a container of moist peat. Young shoots do not tolerate temperature extremes. To protect planted bulbs can be covered with plastic bottles with a volume of two to three litres with cut off bottoms.
Useful tips on caring for exotic beauty
Professional gardeners recommend.
- You need to feed the plants with ash, and complex fertilizers on the basis of their calculation: 50 grams per square meter. Fertilizing to produce in early spring, during Bud formation and after flowering full. In the spring producing a root top dressing of ammonium nitrate (40 g of substance in a bucket of water), nitroammophosphate (50 g in a bucket of water), fermented mullein (the proportion 1:10).
- Lily does not like excess moisture, however, she needs timely watering. Pouring water at the root, try not to get on leaves. Drops of water on a Sunny day can play the role of a natural lens, and the plant will get burnt.
- Overheating of the soil is also undesirable, it disrupts the normal biological processes. To prevent such a development by using mulching, using light and natural materials: straw, the grass, sawdust.
- The thin stems of the tall varieties need to be tied up to supports, otherwise they will crack under the weight of the flowers. Faded blossoms removed in time, the flower stalks are cut off at the end of the season.
- After the end of the vegetation period the plant stems are cut and burned. The winter garden lilies sheltering leaves, sawdust, coniferous spruce branches. In the shelter do not need Asian varieties.
How often do I need to separate lilies?
Daughter bulbs that separate every three years, during this period they will be able to increase the weight and gain the most power. Slow-growing varieties from the Caucasus are seated in five or six years. When transplanting bulbs-children should be carefully separated from the stalk, planting beds for seedlings, cover with compost or humus. Of them on the second or third year formed a full-fledged bulbs.
Caring for lilies is not simple, but he justified those positive emotions, experienced by any person, value the beautiful and the eternal, at the mere sight of these graceful and noble flowers.
Pests and diseases
For the ground part of the plants are dangerous Lily beetle and the fly. To get rid of these pests, you can, if you regularly collect the larvae by hand and spray the stems such drugs, as "Grizzly", "Thunder", "Mukhoyed".