- The hedge in the garden is better than a conventional fence
- Pruning and hedge care
- Recommend You also view a video tutorial on trimming hedges:
- Replacement of dead plants
- Undemanding plants for hedges
- What plants are best not to choose?
- 52 Photo example of registration of the hedges at their summer cottage and country house
The hedge in the garden is better than a conventional fence
One of the ways of garden landscaping is growing hedges. This idea allows you to immediately "kill two birds with one stone": to make a quality fenced and complement garden decor plants. At the end of the article there is a photo gallery of 55 some examples of hedges around a country house or Villa.
Often a hedge is grown in the area patio, between the kitchen garden and relaxation area, as well as the contour of the suburban area and in front of the house, the main entrance and on the sides.
To create a hedge with their hands, you need to choose the right plants and throughout the year to carry out activities to care: watering, dressing, pruning and treatment of bushes and trees, the components of the fence.
Next, we consider the basic requirements and recommendations, related to independent care of hedges.
Pruning and hedge care
Annually hedge should be trimmed, that would give her a beautiful look and to remove the ailing live weight.
Trimming hedges requires some skill, because. in the case of improper care., plants may die or produce bald spots (holes in the fence).
Despite the fact, "green fence" consists of a large number of individual plants, during growth they merge into a single area, whereby the root system to become inseparable.
The importance of rapid identification of diseased plants is due to the fact, all shrubs are competitors: if a Bush will give up the slack, the rest of it simply replace, after which the plant will finally die.
In order, that wouldn't happen, the hedge must from time to time carefully viewed, and in case it is necessary immediately to proceed with pruning of plants.
In order to trim a hedge with their hands, you must use the following guidelines:
- If the plant is affected by fungus, it is necessary to carry out pruning of all branches to length, equal to their annual growth.
- If the plant begins to die due to lack of sunlight, it is recommended to perform a decorative trim the bushes (to make them more suitable form). Here it should be noted, that most often this problem occurs, if the fence has a rectangular shape. In this case, pruning of shrubs should be implemented in the form of a trapezoid.
- If the entire plant is sick, you can use the method "complete rejuvenation of the hedge". Its essence is: plant clipped completely, to the trunk. In this case, the fence can lose its attractive appearance, but for that to recover faster, than to plant a new hedge. Cropped plant will return its appeal after about 2-3 year.
- In case of illness hedges are trimmed all plants, without exception.
- In addition to trimming, plants still need to be cured with special preparations. Fungal diseases it is recommended to use Bordeaux mixture. If the hedges were defeated by Sawfly, it is recommended to treat it with a special insecticide.
- The affected areas clipped hedge, you need to burn, whatever the disease does not spread further.
- In order, what would a hedge quickly recovered after treatment, be sure to follow it with fertilizer and watering.
Recommend You also view a video tutorial on trimming hedges:
In the video: mowing hedges with their hands
Go ahead. By the way, if interested, see design options simply hedges.
Replacement of dead plants
If You, for any reason failed to timely cure the plant, it will die and in the hedge is formed baldness. In this case, without changing the plants You can not do.
This event is not too time-consuming, but it has many nuances, to consider.
The main problems, associated with replanting new plants:
- The new seedling is very weak and there is a high probability, what Mature plants will displace from the area.
- The age of the new plants should match the age of the entire hedge. In the shops of gardening can be sold 3, 4-x and five-year plants, but the cost is high. Even if you buy a new shrub, its shape may be very different in the future to spoil the appearance of the entire fence.
- The survival of a new hive (even an adult) is not more than 10% because of the high competition between the plants.
- As we have said, the root system of the hedge is a single. If you uproot a dead Bush, without damaging the adjacent roots can not do (and this can lead to disease of other plants).
- Extracted (the victim) Bush is a big part of the roots left in the ground. If you decide to plant a new shrub, it may not be enough space.
Despite so many problems, it is really to get out of this situation, as a replacement of plants in the hedge.
We advise You to use the following guidelines:
- If you have lost extreme plant hedges, shorten the size of the green fence. In that case, if killed the plant inside the fence, quite a good idea to make an empty aisle, carefully align it.
- To replace conifers in the hedge it is recommended to purchase the same instance in the container (for example, dwarf spruce). The advantage of the plants in the container is, their root systems are compact and easily fit in the small hole.
- It would be neat to remove the dead Bush is the recommended method of loosening the plants: wet the ground around the trunk and gently tilt it from side to side.
- In order, to prevent the displacement of the new Bush older, it is recommended to tie the "neighbors" to the pegs at the time of engraftment of the new seedling. This time is usually not more 3 weeks. As soon as the shrub to settle in the new place, next to the growing plants it is possible to decouple the.
So all the recommendations, You need to consider when caring for hedges with their hands. Recommended to choose low-maintenance plants, what would the fence have been less diseases!
Undemanding plants for hedges
In order, what would the process of care of hedges was more simple, you need to find special plants, which do not require frequent pruning.
For hedges of medium size it is best to use the shiny cotoneaster and Spiraea.
In addition, recommend You use these undemanding plants, as the boxwood. They are suitable for hedges of medium size. The advantage of boxwood in their high frost resistance, moreover, these plants are often used in topiary art.
What plants are best not to choose?
What would Your hedge didn't take a lot of time to care and at the same time was always attractive, you should avoid the following plants:
- Varietal lilac. Plant with for years laid bare, in this case, and so has a small crown.
- Kalina. The plant has a beautiful look and useful berries, but at the same time exposed to intensive damage by various pests in the summer season.
- A Fieldfare, raspberry, briar. This group of plants very quickly expands throughout the free territory. The result may be not hedge, a cluster of plants in the garden.
That's all, I would like to tell you about the landscaping of the garden by hedges and caring for these plants. We also recommend you to see the characteristics of growing the bonsai garden their hands!