- For General information about shrub
- Biological features of culture
- Varieties of spirea: what to choose?
- The most popular varieties
- Where to plant plant? Select the plot
- Reproduction of spirea: types and characteristics
- General rules of planting
- The recommendation of the professional gardeners
- The secrets of correct care
- Diseases and pests
- Photo of different varieties of spirea
- Video about growing spirea
For General information about shrub
One of the most beautiful shrubs, which is widely used for the decoration of household plots. Important for our latitude property – Spiraea resistant to winter frosts. She is unpretentious and landing, and care.
Another name Spiraea – meadowsweet. Mention of it is often found in the folklore of Shors, Chuvash, Tuva. From the twigs of the shrub shamans were the beaters for your drums. Scientific name meadowsweet is derived from the Greek word "Speer" – "bending, which caused a gust of wind" was transformed into Latin "Spiritus" – "the breath, spirit".
This genus of ornamental shrubs includes about a hundred species, different from each other by color, the shape of the branches, the size of the Bush.
Biological features of culture
Shrubs of this kind can be very small, to 15 cm in height, and tall enough, size up 2,5 meters. The branches of the plant is creeping or erect, flowers – white, raspberry, yellow. Inflorescences are arranged around the run, and only in its upper part. The crown is thick and dense or rarefied, depending on the variety. Branches often fall to the ground. The roots located superficially, fibrous. The shrub is propagated by cuttings, layering, cuttings, seeds.
Spirea does not require formative pruning, it is sometimes carried out for decorative purposes, to give the plant a more interesting shape. Shrub hardy, easily adapts to different climatic zones. Spiraea does not need winter harboring, but in the most severe winters the plant may be a little freeze, you need to cut the dead branches. Despite this, the plant will recover quickly and will bloom the same year. For full development of spirea it is enough good soil, time made of feeding and several hours of sunshine per day.
Varieties of spirea: what to choose?
All the plants of this genus can be divided into two major groups according to flowering time: spring and summer. The first to blossom gradually and pleasing to the grower Cipangu floral lace in two months. Second bloom profusely, but a short time. Low shrubs are often used for Alpine design.
Spring plants are covered with flowers in mid-may, they are all white, but with different shades, until light cream. From planting to beginning of flowering is only two years.
The most popular varieties
Spirea gray. The name is derived not because of the color of the petals, they are white, like all spring grades, but because of the greyish-green foliage. Blossoms since may till the middle of the first summer month, blossoms located throughout the run.
- Grey Spiraea "Grefsheim". Tall shrub grows up to two meters, spreading crown is covered with white flowers, gathered in umbels. Diameter of individual flower 1 cm.
- Spiraea Vanhoutte is a hybrid of Cantonese and three-lobed spirea, the Bush reaches a height of 2 m. The flowers are small, collected in globular inflorescences. Interesting foliage color: dark green on top and bluish bottom, in the fall becomes tinged with red. A variety that can bloom twice a year: in early June, and in August.
- Spiraea arguta is also characterized by high growth and beautiful shape. It blooms from late may to mid-June and resembles a white, flowing waterfall.
Summer varieties have their own characteristics: inflorescences appear only at the ends of young shoots, last year's branches wither away. Flowers can have red, raspberry, pink color. Large subspecies – English. Bushes of average height, reach five feet. The foliage is bluish green and the bottom, ovate, in the autumn takes on a red or yellow color. The flowers are pinkish-red, collected in inflorescence.
- Grade "Shirobana". Shrub covered with small leaves and pink or white flowers. Flowering time – July-August.
- "Goldflam" changes the foliage color from yellow to copper, depending on the time of year. Flowers – small, red-pink. Interesting, what color is variable on a Sunny plot, the bushes, planted in the shade, retain the original coloring.
- "Crispus" is able to bloom from July until the end of the summer, flowers – pale pink, collected in flat umbrellas.
- Undersized sort of "little Princess" grows slowly. The maximum size of the plant 0,6 m. Flowers are great, to 4 cm in diameter, size, inflorescence dashboard red-pink. Flowering time – June and July.
- "Golden Princess" – a kind of "little princesses". Shrub just above, reaches 1 m, the leaves are yellow.
English – the most common, but not only summer look.
- Spiraea Bumalda – hybrid, plants reach a height in 80 cm. Stems – erect, foliage in summer green, autumn yellow or red with a purple tint, flowers – pink.
- Spiraea loosestrife is form of leaves – they are thin, long, pointed, reach 10 cm. Flowers – white or pink, length of inflorescences – up to 20 cm.
- Douglas Spiraea blooms from July to September, the Bush high – up to 1,5 m. The flowers are rich dark pink.
- English Billard – a hybrid of Douglas spirea and willow leaf. Shrubs reach maximum for this plant height in 2 m. Inflorescence – a long, pink, flowering time – mid summer to late autumn.
Where to plant plant? Select the plot
If the grower has determined the types and sizes of shrubs, then it's time to choose the right place for them planting. As Spiraea able to greatly grow up, but in the hand, for design of the Alpine hills and hedgerows choose different plants.
For hedges required grade, which give a bit of fruit stalks and lend themselves to formative pruning. For single plantings, on the contrary, it is better to choose plants with developed shoots, which occupy a large area. For Alpine, rockeries, gardens of stones used low-growing spirea.
If select varieties, which bloom at different times, you can achieve a continuous, luxurious flowering from early spring until the first frost.
Reproduction of spirea: types and characteristics
The shrub can be propagated by seeds as, and vegetative method – cuttings, cuttings, dividing the Bush. The seed method is quite time-consuming, often they are breeders, working on getting new varieties. Planting material should be collected in autumn and sown in a special tray with soil. Germination is carried out under a perforated film. Landing germs on the site is done in the spring, before that, the soil must be well fertilized.
For grafting you need to choose the shoots length in 10 – 12 cm, without flowers. A necessary procedure before planting in the soil – treatment fungicide solution. Soil moistening, the humidity in the room should also be high, the cuttings covered with foil, in which to make a hole. Covering material should be placed on 30 cm above the plants.
Layering is one of the most simple and effective ways, the percentage of engraftment of seedlings in this case is very high. Sprigs sprays., pin it to the ground bracket and sprinkle the soil. Rooted plant quickly, it can be separated from the main Bush and replant a sapling to a new location.
Bush produce division in spring or autumn. In the first case, this procedure produces the buds. The plant quickly goes into growth, but there is an increased risk of infection of the roots. In order to solve this problem, the seedling is soaked in fungicidal solution.
General rules of planting
Spirea loves the slightly acidic soil or neutral soil, which should be well fertilized. Spring varieties of plants are better to plant in autumn, and summer equally well acclimatized and autumn, and spring. Neighbors spirea on the site may be the fir, thuja, juniper, other conifers.
The recommendation of the professional gardeners
- Planting material of spirea should be treated with a fungicide mandatory.
- Patients, the damaged part of the cuttings should be removed.
- Best option for planting – sod and leaf soil, spirea loves a good aeration. Poor soil should be fertilized with peat or a mixture of sand and leaf soil. The hole for the landing digging for 2 – 4 day, it should be. The required drainage layer in 15 – 20 cm, you can use the broken bricks, peat with sand.
- The depth of the landing of stalk – 0,5 m. The root collar is flush with the surface or deepens in 2 cm. If the English are propagated by dividing the Bush, the pre-plant should be put into the water, and then cut to pieces with sharp pruning shears.
- Planting of plants into open ground produced in cloudy and rainy weather. After the procedure, the hive should also be watered, dusted basal area with sawdust or peat.
The secrets of correct care
Despite the fact, the spirea does not require pruning, experienced growers do not neglect this kind of crown formation, the Bush is shaped in the form of a ball or pyramid. It is necessary from time to time to remove old and weak branches, these procedures should be done in the spring. After pruning the bushes watered with a solution of manure or superphosphate. Recommended proportions: 10 g fertilizer in a bucket of water. Intensive watering is not required, enough to support the English in times of drought. For wintering the roots can hide in the foliage layer 10 – 12 cm.
Diseases and pests
The plant is prone to fungal diseases, as Anthracnose, ramularia, the Septoria leaf spot. The first sign – the appearance of spots. These troubles are treated with liquid Bordeaux, sulfur colloid, "fundazol". Processing is done after or before flowering.
The most common pests – aphids and spider mites. Symptoms – appearance of holes on the leaves, web. Way to fight – spraying with Malathion or phosphamidon, to combat aphids, use the drug "pirimor".